Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Technology in Music Education

It is amazing to think about how far technology has advanced in the last fifteen years.  Being a music educator, it is even more amazing to think about all of the practical ways that I can use technology in the classroom.

In my opinion, music education lends itself to technology already.  Musicians all over the world use electronic instruments, MIDI sequencers, notation programs, and other forms of technology every day.  It has become part of the music production industry.  So, it only makes sense that music educators (myself included) would try to incorporate at least some aspects of technology into our classrooms.  Most teenagers are already familiar with how to use a computer and the internet.  Most teenagers also have a cell phone and some sort of MP3 player at their disposal.  However, not many can say that they know how to use a MIDI sequencer or that they can compose a piece of music using Finale or Sibelius.  I think that if they were offered the opportunity, students would welcome the challenge of learning how to use unfamiliar forms of technology.

This will be my fourth year of teaching, and I have only scratched the surface on the possibilities of incorporating technology in the classroom.  I have used notation software to write arrangements for my choirs and to burn accompaniment tracks for rehearsal purposes.  I have also had students to use Power Point to create presentations on different composers.  However, after reading the articles for Class 1 in my Digital Media class, I realize that there are so many more possibilities.  I hope that we will continue to explore those new ideas in future class meetings.

No comments: